Are you ready to build and promote your Internet business? You can do this successfully by following these successful Email Marketing Tips.
1. Provide a Variety of Original Content – People will look forward to your emails if they are not purely sales messages. Providing even just a snippet of unique and valuable content will keep them opening up your emails. You can focus on your niche but it is still important to vary the content each time so it does not become stale. You will see click through rates increase just with this first point.
2. Be Careful But Do Not Obsess Over Spam Words – Spam filters may block your messages if you include too many words like sale, free, money, wealth, and such. Some filters will allow words like this as long as they are not used more than once or so. Some ISPs are moving away from keyword or content based filtering and are trying to institute a reputation based spam filtering. This is not fool-proof since even large companies like Target and Pennys still have some email blocked (and these are sent to opt-in lists). The subject line is the most important place to avoid spam targeted words.
3. Proofread Every Email – Whenever possible have someone else proofread each email before you send it. Most people will miss their own typos and grammatical errors but someone else will catch them. It always looks much more professional when the document is free of obvious errors.
4. Offer an Online Version – Be sure to offer online versions of your email to users who have image viewing disabled. It will be a very small percentage of people that go to your online version but they may turn into customers.
5. Remember Some Recipients Will Have Images Disabled – You should consider the appearance of each email without images or HTML. This is the default setting for many email clients. Unless it is changed many recipients will see your email in plain text only.
6. Grab Their Attention At The Top – Be sure that the top 350-400 pixels will grab the reader’s attention and is not broken up. Many subscribers may be quickly going through dozens of emails and deleting the majority of them. They will not bother to scroll down the page if they do not feel the email warrants their time.
7. Keep the Width at 600 Pixels – Many email clients have limitations, so it is in your best interest to keep your emails formatted to no more than 600 pixels wide. Few people want to scroll over if everything is not showing on their screen and they may just quickly delete the message.
8. Consider the Frequency of Your Mailings – It is claimed that it takes an average of 7 emails or visits to your website before most people will buy or subscribe to anything. For some products or services this is too frequent or at least may need to be spread out over several months. If you wait too long before sending another email your recipients may forget they subscribed and will have little interest in your message. You will need to tailor each email campaign to your particular business and your subscribers.
9. Remind Recipients to Forward to Friends – If someone is interested in your email they may want to share it with others. If your product or service is one that is often viewed with suspicion or doubt you may invite them to “forward this to a friend for their opinion.” Other potential customers are often very open to offers if a friend or associate introduces it. Include a subscribe link in the message so anyone that has it forwarded to them can easily join your opt-in list.
10. Build Your Brand – Your emails are also a good opportunity to consistently build your brand among your subscribers. Even those that never click-through or purchase anything will still benefit from your branding. If nothing else you will be building trust and recognition. Keep the look and feel of your emails consistent.
11. Make Clear Calls to Action – Each individual section of your email must contain a clear call to action. Let the readers know what they will receive or how they will benefit by taking this action. A simple “Click Here” is usually not as effective as a fuller description of the results of clicking.
12. Provide Value and Free Items – Keep in mind that too much outright selling will only lead to the quick deleting of your messages. It may simply offend your subscribers and they will not look forward to your messages. Always try to provide some really useful and free content in your emails. Subscribers will recognize good content and even if they do not purchase anything they will be eager to your next email. Some people will save good quality emails and may even purchase something months later when they are reviewing it. Including the occasional free e-book, report, or product can also be effective.
13. Find the Best Day To Send Your Emails – For some online businesses sending emails on Tuesday mornings always bring the best results. Some tests show that more people open email, click through, and purchase when it is sent then. Every eBiz is different, however, so it will take some experimenting to find the best day and time for your campaigns.
14. Send At the Same Day and Time – There are two reasons for being consistent in the day and time you send emails. First, ISPs often consider inconsistency as possible spam, since spammers rarely care when their mass emails are broadcast. Secondly, when you are consistent, your subscribers anticipate your emails arriving and are not surprised or caught off guard. This increases the chance that they will open the email and use your click through links.
15. Test Each Variable Separately – To be most effective you will want to test your email campaigns. You can do this with split tests, sending slightly different emails at the same time but to different subscribers. When you do this change only one variable per email. This way you will have specific results that can be compared and measured for effectiveness. You will then be able to tweak your next emails accordingly for better results. The importance of this can not be overemphasized. Even just minor adjustments can make a big difference in click-through rates, profits, customer retention and other goals.
Probably the most important test involves your subject line. Test the wording, the length, questions or statements of urgency and other aspects of your title. Many articles on Email Marketing Tips will say they have the perfect formula to grab attention and get the email opened but that is impossible. If there was a perfect formula for subject lines everyone would use it and then recipients would recognize they were being manipulated.
It is important to also test other parts of your message. You may want to test certain words, the length of the message, the content, free offers, click buttons, your calls for action, and other things.
16. Promptly Monitor Replies – When you effectively market with emails you are likely to receive some replies. A prompt reply while the prospect is still warm will bring better results. If you wait too long to reply they may think you are not responsible or they may even be annoyed. You may also get some great feedback that will benefit your eBiz.
Following these simple guidelines will help any Internet marketer to be successful with their email marketing. Tailor these Email Marketing Tips to your online business and adjust them as you gain experience. The effort you put in to a good quality email marketing program will be well worth it as you see more traffic to your website and your profits increase.
You will also enjoy our article highlighting ebiz etiquette and why it is so important for Internet marketers!.